Clinical or Academic Specialists

Clinical or Academic Specialist (2.7) is a title conferred on individuals who have special skills, education and/or work experience which qualify them to fulfill highly specialized teaching and/or supervisory roles in a particular academic unit. Neither Clinical nor Academic Specialists are eligible for tenure. They are given term appointments which may be renewed depending upon the quality of job performance, University need and available funding. Clinical and Academic Specialists are employed in and may seek promotion to one of the following ranks: Assistant Clinical or Academic Specialist; Associate Clinical or Academic Specialist; or Senior Clinical or Academic Specialist. The specialist’s maintenance of professional qualification (where applicable) and quality of performance are the major factors in annual evaluation and retention decisions. The Specialist’s quality and level of performance and length of service are the major factors in promotion considerations.