ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development and CATLR are offering Full-Time Nontenure Track Faculty (FTNTT) Mentoring Circles in the 2018-2019 academic year. Northeastern FTNTT Mentoring Circles is a group of FTNTT faculty who meet together regularly, for nine months, to exchange experiences, challenges, and opportunities for the purpose of enhancing self-confidence, communication skills, leadership practices, and/or commitment to one’s career. Each FTNTT Mentoring Circle is composed of 4-6 faculty members and a facilitator. The program serves three Mentoring Circles.
The goals of the FTNTT Mentoring Circles are to:
- Offer a group mentoring experience for FTNTT faculty.
- Develop interdisciplinary networks for FTNTT across colleges.
- Provide opportunities for FTNTT to interact with peers around career development strategies.
- Develop mentoring experiences that increase faculty job satisfaction and create a meaningful sense of belonging.
- Develop a mentoring model that can be shared with other universities.
Description and Logistical Information
Applications for the FTNTT Mentoring Circles are closed for 2018-2019.
Applicants will suggests circle topics, ie. promotion, furthering a scholarly identity, professional development opportunities, career development plans, etc. ADVANCE and CATLR will review proposals, select discussion topics from those proposed, and set the meeting times. The FTNTT Mentoring Circles can be composed of junior FTNTT, mid-career, full professors, or a mixed rank group.
Annual activities include:
- Kick-off Orientation October 2 with signing of Commitment to Participate form and a reflective goal setting exercise (individual development plan)
- Mid-year Luncheon on January 29 and sharing of experiences
- Closing Celebration April 2
- End of Year Program Evaluation survey
Faculty participants commit to:
- 2-4 hours a month
- Participation in the monthly FTNTT Mentoring Circle meetings
- Participation in the Orientation, Mid-year Luncheon, Closing Celebration, and program evaluation
- Signed contract stating their commitment to participate and to keeping all information shared in the FTNTT Mentoring Circle confidential
- Full participation in the FTNTT Mentoring Circle discussions
The FTNTT Mentoring Circles program can be used as a model peer mentoring program. ADVANCE and CATLR will disseminate the FTNTT Mentoring Circle model to a wide audience within and beyond Northeastern.