ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development and the Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning through Research (CATLR) are offering Full-Time Nontenure Track Faculty (FTNTT) Mentoring Circles in the 2019-2020 academic year. Northeastern FTNTT Mentoring Circles is a group of FTNTT faculty who meet together regularly, for nine months, to exchange experiences, challenges, and opportunities for the purpose of enhancing self-confidence, communication skills, leadership practices, and/or commitment to one’s career. Each FTNTT Mentoring Circle is composed of 4-6 faculty members and a facilitator. The program serves four Mentoring Circles.
The deadline to apply for the 2019-2020 Mentoring Circles has passed. Inquiries should be directed to Erinn Taylor de Barroso (email@example.com) Assistant Director of ADVANCE.
The goals of the FTNTT Mentoring Circles are to:
- Offer a group mentoring experience for FTNTT faculty
- Develop interdisciplinary networks for FTNTT across colleges
- Provide opportunities for FTNTT to interact with peers around career development strategies
- Develop mentoring experiences that increase faculty job satisfaction and create a meaningful sense of belonging
- Develop a mentoring model that can be shared with other universities
Description and Logistical Information
Applicants will rank their preferences regarding circle topics, ie. promotion, furthering a scholarly identity, professional development opportunities, career development plans, etc. ADVANCE and CATLR will review proposals, select discussion topics from those proposed, and set the meeting times. The FTNTT Mentoring Circles can be composed of junior FTNTT, mid-career, full professors, or a mixed rank group.
We are excited to announce we have two faculty members joining ADVANCE and CATLR staff as facilitators. Kat Gonso, Teaching Professor of English, and Sheila Winborne, Associate Teaching Professor of Philosophy and Religion, will be co-facilitating a Mentoring Circle for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Annual activities include:
- Kick-off Orientation October 15 with a reflective goal setting exercise (individual development plan)
- Mid-year Luncheon on January 28 and sharing of experiences
- Closing Celebration April 7
- End of Year Program Evaluation survey
Faculty participants commit to:
- 2-4 hours a month
- Participation in the monthly FTNTT Mentoring Circle meetings
- Participation in the Orientation, Mid-year Luncheon, Closing Celebration, and program evaluation
- Signed contract stating their commitment to participate and to keeping all information shared in the FTNTT Mentoring Circle confidential
- Full participation in the FTNTT Mentoring Circle discussions
The FTNTT Mentoring Circles program can be used as a model peer mentoring program. ADVANCE and CATLR will disseminate the FTNTT Mentoring Circle model to a wide audience within and beyond Northeastern. ADVANCE has recently partnered with the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, the College of Social Sciences and Humanities, and NU Future Leaders to expand the program to staff. To learn more about the staff mentoring circles, click here.