Senate Agenda Committee
This Committee consists of the Vice Chair of the Senate who will act as chair of the Committee; the Secretary of the Senate who will be its secretary; and four additional Senators elected annually by the Senate from among the elected members of the Senate. The election of the Agenda Committee shall take place in the spring semester preceding the academic year of its incumbency. After the annual Senate elections have been completed, the existing Agenda Committee shall call the Senators-designate to an organizational meeting for the sole purpose of electing the Agenda Committee for the forthcoming academic year. The officers of the existing Senate shall conduct the organizational meeting. The new Agenda Committee and the new Senate shall succeed to their responsibilities on July 1 or earlier with the agreement of the prior year’s Agenda Committee.
Roles for the Senate Agenda Committee:
1) This Committee arranges the agenda for all Senate meetings, submits all assignments to standing committees, and establishes ad hoc committees for special studies whenever necessary. An item of business may, however, be brought before the Senate for discussion without approval of the Agenda Committee if (i) a motion to do so is made and seconded, in writing, directly to the presiding officer of the Senate, and (ii) a majority of the Senate agrees to the discussion. The item shall then become an item of business at the next succeeding meeting.
2) The Financial Affairs Committee and the Administrator Evaluation Oversight Committee shall be staffed and charged each year. The remaining committees shall be staffed and charged in most years, as needed. The Agenda Committee may also establish ad hoc committees at its discretion. Detailed descriptions of all Standing Committees are maintained in a separate document.
3) All Senate committees are responsible to the Agenda Committee and must submit their reports to it for review before presentation to the Senate. The Agenda Committee will have the right to return reports to committees if it feels it necessary.
4) The Agenda Committee also provides a regular channel for consultation and communication between the faculty and administration in matters of new programs, planning, and University policy by meeting regularly with the President and the Provost of the University.
5) The Agenda Committee shall be represented by one or more of its members on University-level committees that affect the academic endeavors of the University, including those dealing with issues such as financial planning and technology policy, and shall encourage the participation of other faculty members on these bodies.
6) The Agenda Committee meets at least once each year with the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees to report on Senate actions and issues coming before the Senate, and to discuss matters of mutual concern. By mutual agreement, the committees may hold more frequent meetings.
7) At each Senate meeting the Agenda Committee shall present an oral or written report briefing the Senate on its activities.